Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Harris County Shelter In Place Day #8; April 1, 2020

I'm not one who can't eat out all by myself.  In fact, I do it often. 

Even when I travel for work, I just loathe the idea of grabbing food and taking it back to my hotel room.

That's not to say that I never do it, but you get the point.

And while I miss even going across the road to my favorite Whataburger and sitting down in their location in the morning to eat a 10-minute meal, which I often take something to read with me, there are other things that I could continue to do.

I found today, for example, that I had headphones to my phone.  However, I didn't to my laptop.

So I got online, went to BestBuy.com, looked up what I was interested in, checked the manufacturer's website to make sure that it was going to work and placed my order.

Within a few minutes, I got an e-mail that I could pick them up curbside and I drove over and got them.

I could continue to do that for a long time, as I typically don't go and just "shop".

I made reference a day or two ago about one of our area's runners, who is a nurse practitioner that has gone off to New York City for three weeks to help with the massive COVID-19 need there.

She shared a picture on her Facebook Story of an empty Times Square earlier from late this afternoon and I was just, "Wow."

This is a woman who lives her faith stronger, more consistently and more openly than most others that I know - and this is just from the short time that I've known of and been around her from the same training group that my daughter is a part of.

My daughter and I got out late this afternoon on the Spring Greenway Trails and put down a nice 4.05-mile, out and back run.  Little cooler temperatures felt great.

Brings me to 16.04 miles running, 25.34 miles walking and 20.5 miles cycling for March 25 - April 24.

We ran out of Dennis Johnston Park and ran in the direction towards Interstate 45.

Little miffed with groups of four that don't go single file on a wide path to create that six-foot spread and we also had a group of four 18-21 year olds, I'd estimate, as we finished our run, come up behind us with not a care in the world about what not getting too close to others.

Ticked me off a little bit.  Enough to share.  :-)

It was also the first time that I had crossed Interstate 45 since the Shelter in Place order went into effect. 

Finally, earlier today my daughter, for the first time, made the comment that she missed being with her kids.

She's adapted to this different method of teaching pretty well, which I guess you'd expect from a 24-year-old even though she wouldn't classify herself anywhere near a tech geek.

She had her weekly call with the other teacher on her grade level with their two administrators and it was mentioned, she said, that not one parent had e-mailed them about any distance learning issues so to take it as a positive, yet "back-handed compliment".

I'm pretty proud of her.

Interesting podcasts I listened to today:

This was really, really good, by the way.
Checking in with Dr. Fauci: Dr. Gupta's coronavirus podcast for April 1 [04/01/20; CNN]

Texas Standard: April 1, 2020
+ The governor issues new orders on social distancing. Just don't call em shelter in place. We'll take a closer look at the packaging of a statewide pandemic response.
+ And religious gathers now considered essential in the Lone Star State. Patrick Svitek of the Texas Tribune with more on the Governor's latest guidelines.
+ Also rapid turnaround deportations. How the Coronavirus crisis has changed the rules at the U.S. Mexico border.
+ And stay at home-schooling tips from homeschooling veterans.

The Search for a Treatment:  Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, discusses what treatments for COVID-19 are currently being researched. [04/01/20; Deep Background]

Interesting and/or informative COVID-19 stories I read today:

Netflix 'Pandemic' Doctor May Have Found A Cure for Coronavirus [04/01/20; TooFab]

Russian plane with coronavirus medical gear lands in U.S. after Trump-Putin call [04/01/20; NBC News]

WHCA votes to remove outlet from briefing room after reporter violates coronavirus distancing rules [04/01/20; The Hill]

Houston-to-Dallas Bullet Train Delayed By COVID-19 Pandemic [03/30/20; Houstonia]

Pompeo Accuses China, Iran and Russia of Coronavirus Disinformation [04/01/20; Newsweek via MSN]

Italy's Coronavirus Death Toll Is Far Higher Than Reported [04/01/20; Wall Street Journal via MSN]

"Keep Calm.  Don't Click."
The Dilemma: Should you phish test during the COVID-19 pandemic? [03/31/20; KnowBe4.com]

Home Depot executes 'stop-sale' order for N95 masks, donates them to health careworkers during coronavirus [04/01/20; USA Today]

Understatement of the month and it's only April 1.
Coronavirus will be ‘imprinted on the personality of our nation for a very long time,’ Fauci warns [04/01/20; Politico]

China Concealed Extent of Virus Outbreak, U.S. Intelligence Says [04/01/20; Bloomberg News]

Suggestion here that because the majority of COVID19 deaths have underlying causes, but that COVID-19 might not be the most significant cause of death.
Open Letter from Professor Sucharit Bhakdi to German Chancellor Dr. Angela Merkel [Swiss Propaganda Research]

Coronavirus update: Wake up, N.J.! Florida is trying to kill us (and pin the blame on us) [04/01/20; NJ.com]

The Social-Distancing Culture War Has Begun
Across the country, social distancing is morphing from a public-health to political act. The consequences could be disastrous. [03/30/20; The Atlantic]

Paper-based test to detect coronavirus in wastewater: Study  [03/31/20; Deccan Herald]

Italy doctors warn of 'bio bombs' from patients sent to care homes [04/01/20; AFP via MSN]

Non COVID-19 related
:

Iran warns US after Patriot missile deployment to Iraq [04/01/20; Al Jazeera]

And in sports:

Legendary Saints kicker Tom Dempsey tests positive for coronavirus during Lambeth House outbreak [03/31/20; New Orleans Times-Picayune]

Maloney was 0-6 both against Penn State and Pitt
Former Syracuse football coach Frank Maloney dies at age 79 [04/01/20; USA Today]

Stay safe.

Keep everyone in your prayers.

And have a great Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment