Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Spring, Texas; December 26, 2012

Waverly got me a desk calendar for Christmas from Tony Dungy titled "Quiet Strength:  The Principles, Practices & Priorities of a Winning Life".

First of all, I'm proud that she not only paid attention enough to know that I had a devotional titled, "Uncommon Life", by Dungy, but that she also bought it with her own money from babysitting this past summer.

As you can imagine, I'm pretty proud of her.

Just after opening that gift, she made her Dad cry with a homemade 2013 calendar that was made up of shots from her Senior pictures - and a few select ones that she and her Mom or that I had taken.

So today's first entry from Dungy's daily "daybrightener" is this:

"We have to be careful that we don't let the pursuit of life's goals, no matter how important they seem, cause us to lose sight of our purpose."

That purpose, of course, for a Christian is to ensure that we win as many souls to Jesus Christ.

I've written on this blog earlier that with at least one individual, and perhaps more, that I may have lost that opportunity.  Only God knows that for sure.

The only thing that I can do is to not make the same potentially eternal mistakes around the lives of others.

I would like to think that I have this - above - covered fairly well.

I was just talking with a friend of mine at the track earlier this evening that I don't have anything that would be considered a "life goal".  I'm signed up for a long-distance running race, but if I don't complete I won't be completely devastated and think that my life is less than complete because I didn't.

To me, I said while running another friend later in the session, my number one desire is that Waverly is positioned as well as possible to lead as happy and as complete of a life as possible.

I pray for her as much as I can, but also I'm confident that she continually seeks God's will in her life on a regular basis.  And I would like to think that I can see the evidence of that desire of her heart in how she lives her life.

She's a blessing to everyone around her, including those who despise me.

They have been known to recommend her to a race director for her to sing the National Anthem at their race.

But the bottom line is that our focus should be on eternity, which in our day-to-day life can be a challenge when we make choices that take us away from God's love for us.

Therefore, I'll continue to hope and pray that my "life's goals" are consistent with an approach that is eternal in nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment