Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Punching It Out; September 13, 2017

I keep saying that I want to write more.

I'll just have to force it out in smaller pieces to make sure that I do it.

Just got done putting 45 minutes on the elliptical machine here at the Hampton Inn in Decatur this evening.

Wanted to make it an even hour as I normally do, but the pepperoni calzone from Verona Pizza was just a bit too filling.

I'm looking forward to running the Bismarck Marathon on Saturday.

I haven't covered 26.2 miles (or more) since last December and I'm not running this race because a woman that I know is running it.  Ha!

The goal was to run the Nebraska State Fair Marathon three weeks ago for a marathon in my 34th state, which would have made me a bit more ready given that I rarely follow any type of conventional training.

Run another marathon to get ready for the next one is how I used to do it.

My weight is up just a little bit, but nothing terrible.

I raced a pair of 10K's this past weekend that were a few seconds faster on both that I had run on the same weekend two years ago.

Call it progress regardless of the size of the time improvement, right?

Going to Bismarck comes at the expense of me not announcing the Toughest 10K Kemah for the first time -- well, since a long time.

There's a specific reason why I walked away, but at the end of the day what I did and do is a luxury to an event.

You can still get a race started on-time, recognize runners and get the awards done efficiently and quickly -- maybe or maybe not that you can get somebody who can do it as well.

At the end of the day, though, the majority of the runners really, really don't care who does that -- as long as it gets done.

My only disappointment is that I won't be involved in the race being the 2018 RRCA National Championship 10K.

It is a designation that I believed was completely achievable by the race production team and that I pushed the race director to bid on.

I'll take credit for that.

As I've said before, I can't work every race - and, quite honestly, I don't know that I want to anymore.

I'm actually enjoying a lightened load.

I turned in my bid for the Memorial Hermann Ten For Texas with The Woodlands Township Parks and Recreation Department this week.

If nothing's changed, it is a race that I am looking forward to doing for the first time ever.

This has come about as a result of the lack of involvement of one of their long-time sponsors.

I think I've also mentioned that I'm getting back involved with Texas private and parochial high school athletics.

In doing so, I just have to be careful how much time I spend on my butt preparing content to the promotion of the sports and the kids that play them.

I saw the headlines of articles about how sitting for prolonged periods of time could increase the risk of death.

The article recommend getting up and moving every 30 minutes.  I pretty much did that today at the office - and intend to stay as active in the future.

Although one item in my life hasn't gone how I had expected it to, I like my life - and I'm thankful for each day God gives me to live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment