Sunday, January 21, 2018

Expect A Miracle; January 21, 2018

My daughter got me a new devotional for Christmas, but I hadn't taken the time to pick it up and get into it.

However, the authors, Scott Whitaker and Nathan Whitaker, positioned on the outside cover that it was "Do-able.  Every One Year book is designed for people who live busy, active lives.  Just pick one up and start on today's date."

So the devotional of "Impact For Living:  Men's Devotional" for January 21 is "Expect A Miracle".

It asked "How was last week for you?  Anything special happen in your family?  Amy miracles?  Did you even notice?  Or in the midst of your busyness, would you have even had a chance to notice any?"

I would say, at times, that even life is a miracle, especially given our opportunities to really attempt to mess up what God has planned for our lives.

For example, I'm always so thankful for safe travels.

I drove 806 miles during the work week:  Monday evening to early Friday morning when I returned my rental car to Houston Intercontinental Airport.

To be safe that entire time is something we sometimes just take for granted.  Actually, I think when we drive we make more decisions as we do that than any other time during the day.

Think about it.  We look left, we look right before we go through the intersection.  We're judging the speed of the cars coming to a stop at the left of us, exercising faith that they're going to stop. 

We see the car coming up behind us and ask God that the driver that is approaching at a fast rate of speed stops in time and doesn't hit us.

Just that entire process that we do over and over is a miracle to me.

Even not having something happen when we get frustrated with a driver around us, such as road rage, which is one of my greatest sins and challenges.

Speaking of sin, one of the most profound things that stuck out to me from attending church this morning was being reminded of "getting back in the game" after asking God for forgiveness and reconciling with him.

Where I attended church this morning is starting a study through the book of Acts.

It was the second week that they were in this Series and they were focusing on verses 12 through 26.

It was after Jesus had ascended to Heaven to be with His heavenly father and the disciples were meeting to select another to join their ranks.

And it was Peter, who denied Christ three times, who was preaching to them and leading them.

It was an encouragement to me that God doesn't want to ever give up on us as a believer and a follower of Him.

When we sin, He wants us to come to Him, seek forgiveness and be reconciled.

I've ever learned recently that I'm thankful that God has chosen to punish me for my sin because it proves to me that He still loves me and has something planned for me, if I'm willing to give it all back over to Him.

So I'm thankful that I made a commitment to get up and be in church this morning.

I received a blessing - and encouragement - from the message.

My prayer is that it I continue to believe each and every day going forward as best I can - and seek His help along the way.

That's the miracle I'm expecting to see in the days and week to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment