Sunday, April 8, 2018

Three Things To Be Thankful For From The Weekend; April 8, 2018

I heard something profound in church this morning that is making me kind of stop and reevaluate what and how I choose to communicate.

The speaker, a member of the church’s staff, was talking about how Jesus accepts our search for Him as he was sharing the story about how Zacchaeus sought after Christ in Luke 19.

He said, “What we perceive about Jesus is what we project to others and those assumptions may keep people from the presence of Jesus Christ.”

I took it more to say that if we thought and believed, for example, that Jesus came to condemn – although scripture clearly speaks that He comes to save us from condemnation – that we may be bitter in our relationships with others and keep them away from  Jesus.

As I have the opportunity to visit a number of different churches, either through my travels or searching for a potential new church home, I usually take the opportunity to share on Facebook via a check-in as to where I’ve been and something that I heard that really made an impression on me from the service.

I didn't today because I wanted to stop and think about people receive it when they see it in their feed.

While at times I have an edge, especially behind the wheel (something that I have to ask for forgiveness for often), that may come across as me not being a follower of Jesus Christ, I want to make sure that people understand that I do genuinely believe, even though I struggle with sin.

Speaking of sin, one of the best church signs I saw before Easter was something to the effect of, “How About Giving Up Sin For Lent?”

So true and so real.

There were three things that I took away from the weekend that I was really, really thankful for:

1.) It was great on Saturday morning to run with my daughter around the Texas A&M campus.  As she gets older and continues to grow and mature as a young woman, I really covet the time that I get to share with her.  We went there to run a race, but just decided to spend the equivalent amount of time not competing, but communicating with one another.  We even got the opportunity to spend a little time examining an incredible memorial for the 12 young male and female Aggie students who lost their lives in 1999 when the bonfire collapsed.

2.) Sure, I announce a lot of races – and a lot fewer than I did three years ago – but what really struck me differently last evening was the trust that an entity – The Woodlands Township and its Parks and Recreation Department – placed in me to represent them professionally to assist in ensuring that there were proper race communications and that the event flowed smoothly.  I try not ever to take that for granted, but sometimes in the busyness of life I fear that I will.  I don’t believe that I do anything special in the things that I do – just that I’m thankful for the talents and abilities that God’s given me, but am just floored that people trust in and value my opinion.

3.) I was glad that I made it to church.  Seems real simple, but the last few years I just haven’t done a good job in being fed – at a minimum – in a weekly worship service.  There have been 14 Sundays so far this year and I’m thankful that I’ve been in eight Sunday morning services.  I try to absorb as much as I can help so that if there’s something that I can share or impart to somebody else that I’ll be ready if called upon.  I’ve said many times that Waverly’s choice to go to school at Liberty University, where she could have the structure of a school that was largely focused on its commitment to Christ, allows me to have the opportunity to have an open door with others – about Christ – that I might not otherwise have the chance to.  And that actually happened Saturday afternoon at Muddy Trails when somebody saw me wearing my Flames baseball cap.

I’m certainly not saying that I have it all together, because believe me when I say that I don’t, but I’m eager to figure out how this morning’s message will apply itself in my life.

The speaker pointed out that Jesus remained true to His agenda – when He called for Zacchaeus to come down out of the sycamore tree – and that He “is come to seek and to save that which was lost …”

And he said that the “lost” in the verse doesn’t mean “no hope” but rather “out of place,” which we all feel at times.  That is, being out of place.

He went on to add that Jesus was relationally authentic and pointed out that 1.) Jesus made eye contact with Zacchaeus, 2.) He called him by name, 3.) He went to Zacchaeus' house and finally 4.) He let people see into Him that He was real.

It was a reminder to the believer and follower of Christ that we aren’t going to preach people into God’s kingdom, but that by being “relationally authentic” we would have a chance to share God’s message.

Finally, in covering his third and final point of the message, the speaker said that we’re to act like servants, speak like shepherds and relate like friends.

These were all good tools and reminders that we need to slow down and be intentional as to what we project to others about Jesus Christ because we might be the only one that can reach a particular someone.

There are many other things that I’m thankful for, but my challenge and share with you is:  “What are you most thankful for right now?”

1 comment: