Thursday, December 12, 2019

Wide Awake in Spring; December 13, 2019

I'm such a restless spirit these days.

It is almost 1:30 a.m. on Friday, December 13, as I write, and I just finished three miles of brisk walking in my subdivision.

Why?  Because I felt like such a bum from yesterday after running four miles at the track Wednesday night - after two days of zeroes on Monday and Tuesday.

Technically, it was 4.227 miles as I ran in outside lanes.  Here's the breakdown:

L5 - 11:13.30 (3:00.65) - 10:34/mile
L5 - 10:42.11 (8:49.99) - 10:05/mile
L5 - 10:20.51 (2:59.68) - 9:45/mile
L4 - 9:48.34 - 9:23/mile

I was pleased.  Waverly put down mile repeats of 9:06 and 9:04 in lane 1 as part of her training.

This evening (or early morning, that is), I have three different mile courses marked out and they went as follows:

16:18.91
15:48.87
15:21.50

Yes, I suppose I got warmed up and picked the pace up a little bit, even though I thought about running it in on the back half of the last mile I resisted and kept it a brisk walk.

This weekend.  What am I going to do?  I've been wrestling with that all week.  I have many of the next few weekends figured out, but this one I tossed around a bit.

I was considering a couple of races here in Texas and the possibility of going to the Six-Man Private School All-Star Game Saturday afternoon at Live Oak Classical School in Waco, that starts at 3 p.m., but I still didn't feel busy enough.

I checked Google Flights to see if there was anywhere I could go.  Sounds terrible, doesn't it?  :-)

I saw a sweet $177 fare to Miami, Florida on American that left very early Saturday morning and came back very late Sunday night.  I put this schedule together:

Saturday
2:00 p.m. - Alabama A&M at University of Miami, Florida (Men)
4:00 p.m. - Florida National University at St. Thomas University (Men)
7:00 p.m. - Harford Community College at Palm Beach State College (Women)
Sunday
7:00 a.m. - Wellington Jingle Bell Run 5K, Wellington, FL
2:00 p.m. - Central Connecticut State at Florida Atlantic, Boca Raton, FL (Women)

However, I was still left with a lot of free time that I couldn't fill or didn't dig deeper to add like maybe a museum or two.

I think what I've settled on is the following after Dan Morgan and I broadcast Houston Lutheran South Academy and Houston Westbury Christian on the Texas Sports Radio Network Friday night:

Saturday
8:00 a.m. - DHS Cross Country Boat Parade 5K, Delcambre, LA
2:00 p.m. - Xavier at Loyola, New Orleans, LA (Women)
4:00 p.m. - Tougaloo at UNO, New Orleans, LA (Women)
7:00 p.m. - Lafayette Acadiana, LA vs. Destrehan, LA (LHSAA State Championship at the Superdome)
Sunday
9:00 a.m. - Bonfire Festival 5K, Lutcher, LA
3:00 p.m. - U.S. Olympic Team Trails for Boxing, Lake Charles, LA

And even as I was walking a little while ago, I thought about driving to one 5K, running miles to add counties and then get to the 5K that Watauga Harvest Christian Academy was putting on at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday; however, I think I'll stick with the Louisiana route.

That gives me two races, two gyms to get me to 11 to see a college game in Louisiana in and then a football game in the Superdome, which I've never been in, and qualifiers for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics for boxing.

Stay tuned.  Follow me on Facebook and Twitter, if you don't already, and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment