Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Houston - Spring, Texas; August 21, 2012

Today's entry was titled, "The Power of Your Platform".

"The power of your platform is greater than you think," said Tony Dungy, in today's entry in his "Uncommon Life:  Daily Challenge" book.  "You have an opportunity to influence people for good.  Teachers and coaches may have a more obvious role in motivating their students and players, but everyone can exercise influence in someone else's life.

"And you need to allow yourself to be influenced positively by others.  Everyone needs to be aware of their platforms and the power that they hold."

I read today's entry before I left for work this morning.

After reading it, I took the time to leave my daughter a note of encouragement on the refrigerator door.  (She was still sleeping.  The last week for awhile that she gets to sleep in before school starts next week.)

I just wanted her to be assured of how much I believed in her, but also to remind her that she had the opportunity to be an influence in the lives of her friends.

In my job, I also have - on occasion - the opportunity to mentor younger workers.  And I don't even feel as if I'm 45, but in all reality I've been in the work force for 28 years.  Therefore, I hope that I have a little bit to offer.

My advice to a 24-year-old recently was that they needed to look for another role that maximized their potential while, of course, still ensuring that they were gainfully employed.  At that young age, it is beneficial to be doing something that adds skills to their "tool chest", as we sometimes like to say.

The other times that we can be an influence is when people come to us to seek answers to solutions or to seek our assistance in collaborating to move some project or cause forward.

In those cases, it is like Dungy said, "...you need to allow yourself to be influenced positively by others."

Just the fact that somebody takes the time to ask you or me for our opinion or input is not only a sign of respect but also one of encouragement and renewal of our spirit for the belief that they have placed in us.

Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment