Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Harris County Shelter in Place Day #1; March 25, 2020

After years of hobbling along with a slow Internet connection, even with paying as much as I do, I decided on Monday to finally bite the bullet to upgrade. 

I have Spectrum where I live and late last year I had a bad experience with somebody helping me from a technical standpoint as I tried to learn what all I needed to do - to do this upgrade - that I pushed it off.

When I have to be on a call with Microsoft Teams only and no dial-in number, I have had to go to another location to take that call.

A lot of times through the end of last year, it was my parents' place and more recently, I would just roll across FM 2920 from where I live and go to the McDonald's there.

As we've experienced in the last 10 days here in Texas, every eating establishment has been forced - for the right reasons - by state government to take out, curbside pickup or drive-through service.

However, I became more concerned about being able to travel to my parents, who only live 10 or so miles away, as what I do - although I am supporting a healthcare organization that has to stay running - might not fit the definition of an essential business.

My daughter would be OK - I would think - as she's a teacher.

Nevertheless on Monday I got the information I needed, explained to me so that I could understand it and subsequently I pulled the trigger.

Yesterday I went and picked up the equipment from their location at the front of my subdivision, came home and installed everything with only one minor hiccup -- the 100 MB connection hadn't been fully provisioned.

So we're fully wireless here and have been running a hard wire and a pair of wifi connections since then!

After getting up this morning, I satisfied a weakness of mine:  breakfast at Whataburger.

I have one of those across the road from me too!  Store #1045.

I ordered online and walked over to pick it up curbside instead of getting in my car and driving over.  (I finished all but the drink before I made it to my front door.)

I worked and my daughter did with her second grade students.

Mid-day, I got out and walked a mile just to break things up -- I have three different one-mile courses setup -- and then I walked across the road again to go get a few things from HEB.

There was at least an officer from the Houston Police Department there and perhaps another from another agency.  I think they might have been counting how many were in the store at one time as it seemed like there was only one of the two places for you to go in and out.

I get it, but it just seems like a waste of LEO resources, even if that HPD officer was doing it as a second job.

I mean, the paper towels and toilet paper were wiped out.  (Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun.) 

And we're actually good there.  I bought large packages the last go-around not knowing what was coming, unlike some in the Trump administration.

Around 5 o'clock, I got out and walked another mile.

I had a salad about six and then my daughter and I ran in Springwoods Village on our new 3.66-mile run. 

With the temperatures sitting at 80 degrees, one of the warmest days of the year so far in 2020, we averaged 10:09 per mile.

Before leaving and immediately after our return, I finished reading the following excerpt of a book on boxer Panama Al Brown, who I had never heard of before:

https://narratively.com/the-secret-story-of-the-groundbreaking-boxing-champ-who-lost-his-title-because-he-was-gay/

All in all, feeling a little accomplished today as I got all of my old college football programs - the oldest being back to 1971 - cataloged and on one of my blogs as well as moving all of my old cassette tapes to shoeboxes so that I could ditch the three cases that they were in.  (I need to find something that will play them still.)

But, finally, the coolest thing on the day was that my daughter was sharing with me that she and her second grade partner teacher shared separately with their classes today online - without coordinating with one another -- the exact same bible verse for the day.

So I'll close and leave you with this, Psalm 46:1, "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."

No comments:

Post a Comment