Thursday, March 19, 2020

Thursday's Thoughts; March 19, 2020

Another day I'm thankful to be alive and to be healthy.

My daughter and I got in our fourth straight day of four miles in our favorite place.  We're going to keep at until we can't as I fear that the day is coming we won't be able to for awhile.

And, yes, we're doing everything we possibly can to maintain appropriate distances from others when we're out. 

Or we may be relegated soon to doing this activity in my subdivision where my house is.

I also got in about forty minutes and 14 miles on my Air Assault bike this evening. 

I need to do more of this, but I've logged more miles in the current 30-day period than in previous ones.

I'm looking forward to having another weekend of putting in a mile-plus in many counties - again, as this might be the last weekend I get to do so. 

And, again, when and where I do this, there is hardly anybody around. 

It is on the weekend.  I park near the county courthouse, walk around, take pictures of the historical markers on the grounds and then head out 6-8 minutes and then come back, get in my car, record the path I took, the time and then find my route to the next county seat.

I have 13 counties on the plan for this weekend - seven on Saturday and six on Sunday.

I drove 727 miles last weekend.  (Yes, I got a rental car.  I don't like to put that kind of mileage on either one of the two vehicles that I have.)

Beyond that, work is work.  Lots to achieve for the company that we're doing work for.  Got some great people to work with and I'm thankful for that.

Recently got my latest copy of Texas Monthly and read three good articles late this afternoon.  They were as follows:

1.)  In Memoriam:  "King of Crude" on the passing of Midland's Clayton Williams.

2.)  "The Aftermath":  A story about the 1978 classroom shooting of a popular middle school teacher in Austin.

3.)  "A Year of Firsts":  The reconnection of a Gatesville resident with his middle school special education teacher some 18 years later.

And in this month's Texas Highways, I read the following good pieces:

1.)  Speaking of Texas, Being The Bull (Tillman Fertitta):  A good question and answer piece with the owner of the Landry's Restaraunt empire and the Houston Rockets.

2.)  "Open Road":  A piece about pioneering astronomer Alice Farnsworth and her time at the McDonald Observatory outside of Fort Davis in 1941.

All good stuff and there's more articles to be had in both magazines before I count them as complete.

I also have so many books that I have started in so the goal is to get one finished and put it on the list.  I'm behind from last year when I finished near 80 books.  Mostly sports, of course.

The one that I picked up and read a good bit while on the bike this evening is "Roe V. Wade:  The Complete Text of the Official U.S. Supreme Court Decision".

It is very interesting.  So far.

It is a book that was written in 1992.  And oddly enough, perhaps, the receipt is still in the book.  I paid for it with an American Express card from Bookstop in February 1993.

Finally, it was good to see some friends while out where we were walking.  A coach of my best friend's running group and one of my best friend's female runners and her youngest daughter.  It is always good to see her and I hadn't seen her youngest daughter and remarked to her that she had gotten taller from the last time that I had seen her.

Good stuff.  Appreciate the people that are friendly to me and my daughter.

Have a great Friday - and weekend to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment