Sunday, June 4, 2023

Tap Out Ten; June 4, 2023

Where do I start?  Good weekend.

Couple of 5K's.  Couple of ballparks.  Hall of Fame.

However, sometimes it get old, even though I enjoy it.

But I have to get out of the house.

I work from home, and lately, I have to force myself out of the door each and every day.

Trying to be a little bit more careful with my diet to try and drop this weight that I've put on the last two years.

It's enough to add four minutes to my 5K time in Grandview on Saturday between 2021 and now, but I wasn't totally discouraged.

Why?  It was my best time for the distance this year through eight races.  Today was number nine in Burleson.

Great to see Kate with one of my favorite timers, Race Day Event Services.  

Her and her family are great, salt of the earth people.  

I was telling a gentleman from Arlington, whose son finished fifth and will be an eighth grader at a private school I cover, that many of the Texas cities that I've raced in are in towns that they have timed, like Gustine, Stephenville and Eastland.

Great stuff.

So now the plan is to start looking for this weekend.

I'll be in Waco Thursday and Friday for TAPPSCON and working from there, then I'll be home the following weekend:  Father's Day weekend.

My daughter invited me to go to church with her at Houston's First.  Will probably do that.  Am glad that she loves her Dad to invite me to go where her friends are now.  Speaks volumes, doesn't it?

I'm grateful.  Really am.

My private school friends, Dave and Dan; Bill; Catherine, who's helped me navigate some personal issues that I've dealt with in the athletic community ... these are people who, if I didn't have their time and counsel, I'm not really quite sure what I'd do, to be honest.

Just trying to figure out what in life I need to be doing to make a difference.

I feel like I added a lot via my announcing, but unfortunately, some producers - not the ones that I currently work for - have made that challenging over the last six years and are the reasons that I walked away from many assignments.

On the other hand, I saw my good friend (and his wife), the head track and field and cross country coach at an NCAA Division I school, on Monday and I announce two meets for him.

It is pretty powerful statement when a coach at that level tells you, "You're my guy until you decide that you don't want to anymore."  What better vote of confidence is that?  There's not too much, really.

Am grateful for all that I have and my life.  I've had some good days.  Memorial Day was one of them, but there was an item out of all of that that has presented some caution.  We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment