Saturday, April 29, 2023

Whitewashed Weekend ... Almost; April 29, 2023

 Maybe I was supposed to stay close to home for the majority of this weekend.

The first plan was to fly to Oklahoma City Friday evening and then drive on to Wichita to get a new parkrun in, a new minor league baseball park and maybe see an indoor football game in Salina, Kansas.

And then see a college game in Enid, Oklahoma on Sunday before flying home.

Well, I was going to have to leave work a little early and maybe take a call from Hobby at 3 p.m.

I figured that might have been a little tricky and all, so - since I was flying Southwest - I cancelled my airfare and hotel - and car too! - on Thursday evening.

My new target was a 5K in Linden on Saturday morning, followed by a college baseball game at LeTourneau, but all of north Texas was going to get pounded by rain the first half of the day.

I didn't want to drive all that way to get completely whitewashed.

Friday, my thought then was to go see Sam Houston State at Stephen F. Austin in baseball at 6:30 p.m. that evening, but that meant that I would have to leave by 3:30 p.m.

That 3 p.m. meeting?  Well, it slipped to at least 4 p.m.

I had looked at possibly going straight from there to stay in Deer Park Friday night, and then run a 5K there on Saturday morning but I figured I'd be spending good money for a short night's sleep.

Therefore, I went to a movie at Regal Benders Landing for the sixth night in a row - and came home.

This morning, I just couldn't get moving for that - or the Spindle Tree parkrun 5K, so I ended up getting breakfast across the road at Whataburger and came back and started on updating the all-time Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas men's age group top ten listings.

After updating the majority of all 123 entries, I posted it to Facebook - only for the social media behemoth to think that I was spamming them with the women's post from yesterday.

No big deal, but it took away some nice comments about and for Peggy Yetman.

I deferred going elsewhere so I go to the Houston Roughnecks XFL semifinal game at TDECU Stadium at 6 p.m.

I rowed for nearly 18 minutes and was on the elliptical for another 19, got cleaned up and then I headed to the Copperfield area to check off Barnes & Noble and Half Price Books locations that I hadn't been to.

Things took a little bit longer, but I couldn't get close enough to even miss the first five minutes or so.

Therefore, I kept going south on 288 thinking that I might go the inaugural Houston Havoc American Ultimate Disc League opener at Aveva Stadium.

I was hungry, and being in the Whataburger Fanatics Group on Facebook I knew there was a new store open at 288 and W. Orem just south of the stadium.

I put my order in at 6:18 p.m.  It said it wouldn't be ready until between 6:28 - 6:30 p.m., but the food didn't get in my hands until 6:41 p.m.

And I hate walking in to sporting events late, so I came back here and ... wrote this!

If I really hadn't been working constantly on protecting my peace, other than a few pokey drivers, I'd have been really upset this weekend.  However, I'm not.

I just keep adjusting and going with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment