Saturday, April 4, 2020

Harris County Shelter in Place Day #10; April 3, 2020

Working, reading, eating and keeping moving is about all I have to report on day #10 of Harris County Shelter in Place.

Was up listening and reading late last evening; therefore, Friday's report is getting posted here on Saturday morning as I got up a little later than what I normally do.

That's what having races or sporting events and such on the calendar to do is that it got me up and kept me from being lazy on a weekend.

While I might have earned the right over the years, it isn't something that I prefer to do. 

I have this massive spreadsheet that I keep up with a large number of things.  Some of those you've seen reflected in my Facebook or Twitter posts.

I have tabs going back the last 10 years where I can pretty much tell you what race I was at and on what day.

Lately, lots of things hit that spreadsheet - and staying busy allowed me to put something on the spreadsheet most days of the week.

That, obviously, has slowed down.

I don't do virtual races.  I respect race producers attempt to make a living and/or earn extra income, but I don't need another shirt or a medal to motivate me to run a certain distance.

When we able to run races again, I promise you - if I'm able - I'll be there.

I did these two miles below at about 11:45 a.m. as I pushed away from my desk a little bit around lunch time.

Pepperberry Trail - 15:30.88 (1-mile walk)
Melanie Park - 14:54.59 (1-mile walk)

My daughter and I also got in a 4.3-mile walk in Springwoods Village between 6 and 7 p.m.

My new totals for the March 25 - April 24 period:  16.04 miles running -- 34.54 miles walking -- 30.8 miles cycling

COVID-19-related podcasts

Ask The Expert: Bexar County Medical Advisor Dr. Ruth Berggren Answers Your Questions [04/02/20; Texas Public Radio/KSTX - San Antonio]
8:20 listen

What Next: TBD -- Risking Your Life for $8.71 [04/03/20; Slate]
21:15 listen
While much of the country shelters indoors, Instacart workers have found themselves on the front lines of COVID-19. Who’s keeping them safe?

Today's other interesting podcasts

Houston, We Have a Podcast (NASA Johnson Space Center):  Episode 138, “Captain and Commander" [04/03/20; NASA]
41:48 listen

A related story, Chris Cassidy will be the last American to go up in a Soyuz capsule and the 500th person to go into space.

Help give Maine astronaut Chris Cassidy the sendoff he deserves, social distancing style! [04/02/20; News Center Maine]

What I read on Friday that was COVID-19-related:

Construction Workers Labor on, Vulnerable and ‘Essential’ [04/03/20; Texas Observer]

COVID-19 is Buying Time for Gulf Coast Towns Fighting Oil and Gas Projects [04/03/20; Texas Observer]

How do we safely reopen cities after the coronavirus pandemic? We have to prepare now. [04/03/20; Rice|Kinder Institute for Urban Research]

State will boom again if leaders address transportation, housing in the Texas Triangle [Opinion] [04/03/20; Houston Chronicle]

US Postal Service could shut down by June, lawmakers warn [04/03/20; CBS News via MSN]

Fox News host Jesse Watters said coronavirus travel restrictions were ‘more critical in saving lives’ than testing. He’s wrong. [04/03/20; Poynter]

Journalist with coronavirus from her hospital bed: ‘If you don’t believe in news, please believe in people that are sharing their stories…’ [04/02/20; Poynter]

Very thought-provoking.
How The COVID-19 Pandemic May Permanently Change Our 'Good Death' Narrative [04/02/20; Religion Dispatches]

I agree.
Taxpayers Cannot Be Forced To Fund Churches -- Even In A Pandemic [04/02/20; Religion Dispatches]

Houston hasn't reported a surge of coronavirus cases. But its hospitals tell a different story. [04/03/20; NBC News]

Area couple safe at home after unsettling end to cruise [04/03/20; Glen Rose Reporter]

What else I was reading:

New Study of Christian Nationalism in Texas Should Be A Warning For The Whole Country [04/02/20; Religion Dispatches]

Venezuelan naval boat rams cruise liner, damages itself, sinks (04/03/20; CNN via MSN]

No comments:

Post a Comment