Sunday, April 26, 2020

Sunday Musings; April 26, 2020

Pretty quiet day today.

The laundry is all caught up.  (Well, the dryer is still going on the last load.)

Read completely through the recent edition of Texas Observer magazine (May/June 2020) edition that just came in the mail.  Some really good stories this edition.

Especially regarding the fact that the UIL sponsors mariachi band competition among its member schools.  About eight percent of the schools compete.

There were other good stories.  It has turned out to be one of my favorite magazines, despite its left and progressive leanings.

Read a profile in this month's Texas Monthly about author Paulette Jiles.  Who?  I had - and almost even still say - never heard of her, but the writer peeled back the curtain on her, her life and the numerous books - and its characters - that she's written over the last 15 years.

Also listened today to a couple of good podcasts - including an almost 19-minute edition of "Wise About Texas" on The Fannin Battleground and another from the Texas Tribune about reopening the Texas economy and COVID-19 testing in rural Texas.

The latter of which was buffeted by an Emma Platoff story, "Is this rural community really Texas’ sickest county?"

It spoke of the efforts of Donley County judge John Howard - also the county's only doctor - to know just who in his county and its county seat, Clarendon, likely had COVID-19.

The story can be read here.

Tomorrow starts the requirement here in Harris County for masks to be worn outside of the home.

When it was first leaked earlier this week before it was announced the next day, I made sure that I had an ample supply here.  Cost me a little bit - more so the delivery charge, but I'm prepared.

My daughter and I actually ran in a couple of state parks yesterday and he pretty much ran most of the time in Fort Boggy State Park near Centerville with them on, which is a little bit of a feat in and of itself.

Nonetheless, I will spend a majority of time my time and my dollars just north of the county line in Montgomery County.

I won't change the vendors that I frequent, but just substitute the ones in Montgomery for those in Harris County.

Wearing a mask isn't that bad, to be honest.  It is just the implication that you're saying that I'm not doing enough to protect myself from others.

I work from home for a living - except for the occasional travel - and when I run or walk, I maintain my distance.  (Actually, I get frustrated when others don't do the same thing.)

As far as protecting myself from others, I was doing it already.

I didn't want people in my space before and I always did my best to respect others' space and I'm darn sure not going to go out and be close with others if I'm sick.

Back to the state parks, the TPWD staff at Fort Boggy State Park were great when we entered.

And there were none at the Mission Tejas State Park in Grapeland.

And in the latter park, I only saw a handful of people with masks on.  When we were running on the trails, we had our down until we approached somebody, but that was really only a handful of people.

May go run in two more next weekend - thinking maybe Lumberton and Livingston - or I may rent a car and head west of Interstate 35 and check off some more counties to run a mile or more in.

As always, thankful for every opportunity I have and everything God's given me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment