Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Tuesday Newsday; April 28, 2020

A good Tuesday evening to anyone reading.

How's everyone doing?

Thanks to Governor Abbott for relaxing many of the "shelter in place" orders around Texas, I'm looking forward to add to my collection of Texas counties that I have run a mile or more in this weekend.

My goal on Saturday is to run a mile or more in the following counties and cities:

Henderson (Rusk County)
Emory (Rains County)
Greenville (Hunt County)
Sherman (Grayson County)
Archer City (Archer County)
Vernon (Wilbarger County)

Then on Sunday, I'll continue to the following:

Quanah (Hardeman County)
Crowell (Foard County)
Benjamin (Knox County)
Haskell (Haskell County)
Albany (Shackelford County)

Then I have a decision to make. 

I could go to Brackenridge (Stephens County) and then Palo Pinto (Palo Pinto County), but I think I may to get the following ones in too:

Baird (Callahan County)
Coleman (Coleman County)
San Saba (San Saba County)
Llano (Llano County)

I've run a mile or more so far in 144 Texas counties and if all goes well, I'll get under 100 to go. 

As always, I look forward to the adventure.  Texas is such a fascinating state.

I'll probably be posting most of my content on Instagram so if you'd like to follow me there, it is "walksports" on IG.

I walked another four miles along The Woodlands Waterway this evening.  I went later, starting at about 8:30 p.m., and got a little bit of a breeze but not too less humidity. 

Even though it was a brisk walk, my T-shirt was half soaked.

It is the 39th straight day that I've run or walked at least a mile and 45 out of the last 46 days to do so.

When I got started right there in front of Fleet Feet in Hughes Landing, there's always music playing on ground level in the evenings and tonight it was "You're The One That I Want" from the classic movie, "Grease".

I smiled and got a little tear in my eye as "Grease" was my sister's all-time favorite movie ever when she was living.  (My daughter, who has a Netflix subscription, said that they don't carry "Grease" nor another classic, "Smokey and the Bandit" - a movie she's never seen.)

One thing that I haven't shared publicly is that my Dad had a stroke on Thursday morning.  He's 73 and couldn't get out of bed as narrowing of the blood vessels in his brain had attacked his left side.

He's recovering at the hospital in Kingwood as the doctors, miraculously, have been treating it with medication.  CT scans have showed that he has no permanent damage to his brain, but he's already started physical therapy and will move to Inpatient Rehab soon to progress to be able to come home.

It was incredibly tough for my Mom as the COVID-19 crisis kept her from being able to visit him until Monday.  They've been married 53 years.

My Mom shared it on her Facebook page on Saturday.  I hadn't because I wanted to respect my parent's privacy.  Despite how it seems how open that I am, they're both pretty private and I respect that.

Not too much else going on.  Just work and my daughter keeps rocking her teaching for her second graders.  She's really been able to pivot a do a great job at distance learning education.  I'm thankful that I was able to get our home Internet situation taken care of just before she needed to be able to do everything she's needed to do.

Congratulations to a good friend of mine, Nancy Goodnight in Waco, for running a marathon on Saturday with a young man on the Baylor football team after the Silo District Marathon was cancelled because of COVID-19.  The young man was born without any femurs and did an incredible job, she said, in that he never had a desire to quit.  I think in the majority of the 50-plus that I've run I've wanted to at some point.

Otherwise, I hope that you're staying well in these crazy times that we've been living in.

No comments:

Post a Comment