Thursday, August 18, 2016

Holding Steadfast; August 18, 2016

One of the things that I was excited about when my daughter chose to go to Liberty University was that she would attend Convocation three times a week.

Liberty states, "Convocation is North America’s largest weekly gathering of Christian students, and each year it plays host to more than 80 guest speakers of national significance from every sphere of society. It is held within the Vines Center at Liberty University during each semester at 10:30 a.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless otherwise noted."

She usually has to miss one session a week as she has to do cleanliness checks in the dorms as a resident advisor, but the lineup of speakers that she has heard and will hear in her last year in Lynchburg (short of student teaching in the fall of 2017) is simply phenomenal.

I'm hoping that all will continue to lineup to allow for me to be in attendance on Friday, September 23.

When I attend Convocation last year, the experience brought me to tears in seeing 10,000 young Christian men and women worship Christ together, even though it is simply an academic component to every student's education at Liberty.

While it looks like Tim Tebow will make a return appearance as well as her favorite author, Karen Kingsbury, I'm so excited for her to be able to hear Dr. James Dobson, the founder of "Focus on the Family".

The entire schedule for the semester was released today and I was simply excited to share.

I don't know how God does what He does, but I know when He is present.

I'm in a meeting today training two employees who will be taking over next month a function that I do weekly for my customer.

We're in a conference room and I see an e-mail notification on the display screen from a contact about a possible position with another organization, but at the same customer site.

And this is something that I pursued on my own, so it isn't a conflict of interest of my customer or any organization as if they were recruiting me,

But basically I'll have an interview with this company for a position to be staffed on a team at the customer site that desires a unique skill set that I possess.

I also had applied for a position through a recruiter that is for a hospital here in the greater Houston area.   The job posting at the hospital site states that you had to have a Bachelor's degree, no exceptions.  However, I'm thinking that they're having so much trouble finding people that they're engaging every recruiter they know.

Now, that could spell trouble or opportunity.

I'll speak with the recruiter on Friday and find out more, but it was a blessing to at least have somebody interested and having confirmation that I met the skill set of the position that they're hiring for.

I received some wise advise from a family CFO friend more than 20 years ago.  He said to bury the degree information down on the resume and that by the time they saw what all you were capable of that some, not all, would forget what piece of paper you had or didn't.

And, finally, a recruiter that brought me to the table of a company that I had a good call with on Tuesday is having me speak to another member of their team with another customer/partner of theirs on Monday of next week.

I'm very thankful to have the opportunity to talk about my experience and how I might be able to help an organization.

I scanned my transcript from the one university and e-mailed that to the university that I'm seeking to do online education with today.

In the morning, I'm driving to another university close by to get that transcript.

One person that I don't think that I know commented on my Facebook post relating to facing that failure at the one university stated, "The fact that you took the time to order the transcript tells you there's a part of you that wants to finish. That's likely the runner in you. Good luck if you decide to go back. You'll never regret it if you do."

They're right and the fact is that I'm more accountable today to others and have a much better support system than what I did 20-plus years ago.

Not sure what I'm going to do this weekend other than get my phone repaired hopefully and announce a race on Saturday evening, if it is held.  It is a trail race and I haven't heard how much the rain in our area has affected the park that is run in.

A good friend is going for the Guinness World Record in the farthest distance run in 12 hours on a treadmill on Saturday morning in The Woodlands.  I'll definitely make it up there to get a few pictures and be an encouragement to him.

So while I felt some stress while going to the office today, I know that God is still working and I just have to continue to put my trust in Him and be patient with the process about where my next employment step and situation is going to be.

Thanks again for all of your interest, love and support of me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment