Friday, August 12, 2016

Off The Beaten Path; August 12, 2016

We're in Roanoke tonight as we get ready to go into Lynchburg tomorrow.

For the fourth - and maybe final (just depending where she does her student teaching in the fall of 2017) - time, we'll leave Waverly at Liberty University on Sunday as she begins her senior year.

She's a very grounded young woman, despite being very admired by so many.  And just as beautiful inside as she is outside.

Given the events that have transpired last week as it relates to my livelihood, we thought about not running the race that we have planned in the morning.

However, I had been reimbursed well for some work - outside of my professional career - that I had done in the past; therefore, I decided it would be one of two more times to run together before I come back home Sunday.

There's a 5K and a 10K so we'll chew off the longer distance to kick-start her training for the Virginia 10 Miler at the end of next month.

We'll run on campus early Sunday morning, something I love to get to do whenever I make a trip up here.

I'm a little concerned that my late September trip - to run the 10-Miler - may be in jeopardy, but I'll just have to see how things play out.

Thank you to everyone who has prayed for me, taken my resume and connected with others on my behalf.

There are others, specifically the Sizemore family in Georgia, who need prayers more than me, but again, I'm thankful.

I've asked God to show me exactly where I my next steps need to be and I'm doing my best to completely trust Him with where I can best serve others through my job.

I've been very fortunate that I've been able to be home since July 2012 while working for a consulting firm.  That's certainly unusual; however, it speaks to the work that I've done for the client that has repeatedly asked for my services.

I've given them my best every day I walk in the door.  They pay a lot of money to the company that I'm employed by and they shouldn't get anything less than that.

The last couple of days, in an effort to not be too tossed in the midst of the storm, I've been trying to get back to some basic roots.

Before going to bed, I'm taking some time to read a little bit and pray.

Especially the latter, as many of us often don't take the time that we know to do so.  It has helped bring peace - and comfort - to my world.

The book that I started to read is called "Crazy Busy:  A (Mercifully) Short Book About A (Really) Big Problem" by Kevin DeYoung.

One of the preview quotes is, "If you are someone who checks your email before going to bed and as soon as you wake up, DeYoung has your number, and this is your book."

As I read it, I measure up OK, even though I've been guilty much on the item just stated.

I believe people think that I'm busier than I am, but I have room to work with.

Yet, I have room to improve, especially disconnecting from social media.  Something we all can probably benefit a little bit from.

There's another book of his that I want to read titled, "Just Do Something:  A Liberating Approach to Finding God's Will".

In that "slowing down", I made a conscious decision today to take the road less travelled.

We all should when we can as we never know how much time we're given to enjoy the incredible Earth that we call home.

I flew into Charlotte, drove north on Interstate 77, but didn't go all the way to Interstate 81 before heading north.

I got off on Highway 221 near Hillsville.  It featured some of the prettiest stretches of Virginia that I've seen and there's certainly a lot in this beautiful state.

Lots of opportunity ahead.  Just want to be wise enough to make the right decisions.

Thanks again for all of your love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment