Saturday, April 17, 2021

Saturday At The Races; April 17, 2021

Great day, even with a little bit of drama mixed in.

Not really, just even something I couldn't have planned if I wanted.

I did not have plans to go a race in Conroe this morning, instead having thoughts about traveling somewhere to do so.

However, I measured the course for this event before last year's race, which was actually held before the pandemic, and then to make sure things went smoothly on the course I stayed at the 5K turnaround and the 10K out-and-back to make sure everybody went the right direction.

Fast forward a year, as the week kind of crazily unfolded, I decided to just stay at home and help them out again.

I got there a little after 7 a.m., met with the timer to pick up the signs and then started to lay them out.

I got back to the main area a little after 8 a.m., conversed with many friends, talked about the course at about 8:45 a.m. and then went out to the turnaround.

As the 10K'ers started to come my way, my issue was running right at me.

I saw the white top and the colors on them first and then realized who it was.

Again, the best strategy with their type is "no contact" and they were simply a 10K runner today.

They called my name as they ran by, but I remained focused on what I was there to do.

Let's just state for the record, that it is all that they ever really say.

As my good race directing friend said, they only do more than that when they want something.

Saw many people that I knew and had a great time giving back to the community that I've invested in since the early-to-mid 2000's.

What goes out on an out-and-back must come back, so I had time to prepare.

The 10K runners had to do a little short 227-foot out-and-back to my left.

It was just simply a point down this way and when they went past, I stepped up in the middle of the street where I didn't have to even not make eye contact.

Not really my style, but hey, they forced me into all of this, not me.

Be a real friend and you get treated as such.

Be something less - a lot less - and you become just like I never knew who you were to begin with.

That individual had a great race and did well.

So what do I do?  They belong to my best friend's group and I control the Facebook page.

I had posted a picture of the runners who I knew were there earlier in the morning so I would never let my personal feelings get in the way of being professional; therefore, I posted a well-deserved congratulations.

Of course, they said thanks - in comments - as if nobody knows and that they were just being so sweet and kind.

I see through the veneer, and know differently.

They could have not and it wouldn't have bothered me one bit.

It is what's called being a professional is all about as a journalist.

All in all, didn't bother me one bit.  Wasn't triggered by their appearance.

They had actually been registered for the race based on how the bib numbers were assigned, which I had no clue.  Again, my plan was to be elsewhere.

Still I wouldn't have avoided even if I knew, but I would have documented it like this in case they tried to suggest something that wasn't the case.

So I spent a bunch of time picking up signs, etc. and as I came back to the race headquarters, I made a turn and who was walking in the middle of the street:  they were.

I made eye contact and there were two really fake smiles exchanged and that's perfectly OK.

They are not anybody that I can ever trust again to be honest in any way, shape or form.

All I ever asked for was a little time to 1.) get to know a little more after them being around for 7-8 years and not having more than a three-minute conversation in person and then 2.) later wanting to seek to clear the air - and find out why they blew by me and my daughter on the Saturday morning of The Woodlands 5K - among a few other things.

Some people you meet and find out what their true character is.

What they don't know is that even through all of this two folks in their running group approached me saying that she had been robbed of a first place overall - and that instead they gave her third (and first to a 50-and-over runner).

I knew that she was first.  There was no question.

So I went to the race officials and questioned on their behalf and found out that the ones that approached me were in error and that they just gave age group only awards and not overall.

I let them know amidst a group that they were in.

I had a couple of conversations with people that I trust regarding this situation while I was out there.

And, of course, one strongly reminded me to take care of me.

I genuinely appreciated somebody being brutally honest with me, not that I didn't know that already, but it was good to have somebody care about me enough to remind me "life is short".

Thank you.  That person knows who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment